A Singular ESTATE
For more than 650 years (1141 to 1789), Cistercian nuns, known as the "Tart Ladies" or "Tart Cistercians" brought a monastic way of life to the Estate, the spirit of which still endures today.
The geographical location of Clos de Tart, right in the centre of the village and not far from the famous Clos de Vougeot, shows the extent to which, throughout the centuries, the Estate was an integral part of medieval monastic viticulture.
As the Estate has only had four proprietors in its history, a feeling of permanence has arisen from this continuity of ownership. It is a setting of utmost serenity where vineyard workers masterly perform age-old techniques with great precision under the benevolent gaze of the Tart Virgin (the emblematic statuette from the Fourteenth Century who watches over the Estate).